It was interesting seeing everyone so patriotic about Norway. There were many Norwegian flags up around Førde and a lot of people were walking around in the Norwegian national dress! I just have to say that both the women's and the men's national dresses are BEAUTIFUL. In Norwegian their called a "bunad". The woman's example is a dress (very classic, rustic, and old-fashioned--see pictures below!) with a special print on the vest part. The dresses vary in pattern depending on where you come from, so everyone was walking around in various different types, there wasn't just ONE type. Everyone looked so pretty! I even got to loan my host-sister's, Sabrina, bunad!!! I felt so cool and Norwegian ;). I loved it! The mens bunad is very classy. It consists of of a high-collared jacket, high socks, and pants. It looked very "Jane-Austen"-like if I could compare it with something (I included pictures below:)).
Normally on the 17th of May is would be very much like the 4th of July with cookouts and being together with family. People just celebrate Norway with the national songs and traditions and everyone eats A LOT OF ICECREAM! LOVE LOVE LOVE. I ate two icecreams today ;). win. In general, I had a great day:), and I enjoyed being Norwegian in my loaned bunad. The only thing that was a downer was the fact that it was AWFUL weather, but hey, there's nothing we can do about that...NOTHING CAN RAIN ON OUR PARADE ;) hehee.
ME IN THE BUNAD! :D

Me and Gunvor :)

....Sanne...

Sanne, Host mom Aud, me :)

SANNNNNNEEEE. fordi ho er søt.

Hey, my name is Natalie and I'm really hoping to be an exchange student, is there any way that you could answer some questions for me? I'm so confused and it would be amazing to talk to someone who has actually done a year. I would really appreciate it. Please contact me at bookfreak50@aol.com if that's ok. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteIm thinking about going to Norway this upcoming 2012. Would you recommend Norway?? and im scared of plane flights, so i was wondering how the flight was? thanks so much!
ReplyDelete