:) Not much has been happening around here since I last updated; One thing that is new is that it is getting dark SUPER early. It starts getting dark at around 5, & it doesn't get light until like 8:30 A.M. It's also getting really really cold. Its kinda cozy though. I've always liked cold weather :), but I'm hoping for snow soon! One thing I find hilarious is the excitement for Christmas (Or, Jule) already. AND I THOUGHT AMERICA STARTED CHRISTMAS TOO EARLY, haha. However, Norway starts Christmas in October. They have special things associated with Christmas. For example they sell this thing called "Jule Brus" ("Christmas Soda") that has a picture of Santa Claus on the label. Theoretically, this drink is supposed to be drunk ONLY after December first, as a holiday kind of thing. HOWEVER, it hit stores about the first weekend in October & people are ALREADY drinking it. I have to admit that I cheated and I tried it last weekend. Its only sugar and red food coloring, but its really cute to see everyone all hyped up about it. They also have so many different foods that are associated with Christmas that are slowly popping up in the food store isles. I love it. One of the main questions I've gotten here in Norway is, "Are you excited for Christmas?". Honestly, I don't really know what it's going to be like. It's going to be WEIRD without my family or the traditions that we carry. I'll probably cry, haha, but with all the hype about Christmas here I'm starting to look forward to it. My friends have assured me that Christmas in Førde is very cozy :) & fun. We've already planned a cookie-making night/Christmas movie watching, which will be sooo great.
OKAY. SO one major thing that happened since I last updated was HALLOWEEN. ;). Let me just say that it was way more fun than I had planned it out to be. No one was really as excited for it as I was so I thought it would be just another Saturday night at home as I would think about all my friends at home eating TONS of candy & going to a few parties here or there. HOWEVER, when the day rolled around, I found that people actually DO celebrate. I mean, its not like in the US where EVERYONE celebrates it, but I actually did see a couple of groups of kids trick-or-treating. On the Friday of the Halloween weekend Marte invited me over to see "House of Wax" with a couple of friends, kind of kicking off Halloween! Anyways for the night of Halloween, I was invited to a party at Jessica's house (A new friend). Here at home, Sanne was also having some friends over for a Halloween get-together. I decorated our house with some Halloween goodies that Mama J sent me (THANKS MOM), & I MUST say it looked pretty good ;). I was a Cat this year. I'm just so creative, I know. As I was waiting to be picked up by Marte, Sanne's friends arrived and everyone was dressed up in an outfit (Let me say they were all better costumes than some that I have seen in the US, haha) & I was surprised at how people were actually into it. I feel like some teenagers in the US think they're too cool for Halloween so over the years it gets less and less fun until you hit college, but here people actually embrace it so it makes it super fun. The party that I went to was hilarious & a really good time. Costume choices included several draculas, a gladiator, the mask (jim carrey movie), the grudge girl, corpse brides, batman, and dead dolls. They were ALL way more creative than me, so sorry America, I didn't represent you well ;). I met some new people & just had a good time. It was nice to be able to just have a good time. To go to a party and just have fun. Loved it.
I know that I haven't been "up to date" with my blog, but nothing really SUPER exciting has happened here. I'm just fitting into the "swing of things", as the things I considered "new" or "exciting" before are becoming a part of my life and daily routine. I already know that it's gonna be weird to not have some of the things I have everyday here, because they just seem so routinely. For example, bread. HOW AM I GOING TO SURVIVE NEXT YEAR? haha, seriously though, it seems like a way of life now. Anyways, other than going about my daily routine, I've been playing volleyball & I even played in a tournament this weekend in Naustdal (a neighboring town)! We didn't win, haha, BUT its SO fun to play. The girls that I play with are all SUPER nice and hilarious & fun to be around. I'm so glad that I decided to play. Its also nice to have an activity outside of school so I can expand my social life outside of school boundaries, which is good. As for language updates, its going okay. I feel like I haven't really made a whole lot of progression since I last talked about it, but people are assuring me that I have. Thats a good sign, right? I told all my teachers at the beginning of the school year that I would be a lot better by Christmas, but now Christmas is coming fast and I feel like I'm not even close to where I need to be. I've become a little lazy with the learning, LETTING people talk English with me. I really shouldn't do that, but everyone wants to speak English with me. BAHH, its difficult, but I HAVE to learn.
All in all, it has been a great couple of weeks. I've started to let my guard down a bit, to start being myself in school, rather than being the shy American girl. Of course I'm still shy & terrified to talk to people, but with the people I know, I can be a little more loose & myself. Its really comforting to know that I'm beginning to strengthen friendships with people, to fit into the daily routine, & to be content everyday without feeling homesick at all. Its only going to get better, I know it. ;)
PICTURES:









No comments:
Post a Comment