Monday, September 14, 2009

FINALLY. AN UPDATE.

hei alle sammen ;).. okay SO I AM SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING. I know that I said I was going to be constantly updating but then I would be on the computer ALL the time. Plus, I have been VERY busy settling in to Førde, my home for 10 months :)! I've decided that instead of writing my few weeks here in a "story-like" style, I will hit on certain things that I feel everyone at home HAS to know... here we go:


SO. My journey began in NYC at the JFK doubletree hotel. There, was the AFS "Gateway Orientation" camp. This orientation was for students going to Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands, & I think one more country but I can't remember which one. There weren't as many people going abroad as I had thought, but apparently that is normal for American students. It was really cool to meet people who have the same hopes and fears that I have about being a foreign exchange student. Everyone was really interesting and pretty cool. I know I'll be friends with some of these kids when I get home. The Gateway Orientation lasted from about the evening of the 19th until noon the next day. During the orientation we separated into our destined countries. There are 7 of us from the US in Norway, & I'm pretty sure that we had the coolest group at the orientation ;). The names of the people were (besides me): Grayson, Nicole, Evan, Blake, George, & Luke. ahh i love them all, they're just SO cool, & I'm planning on keeping in touch with them while I'm here. In our Norway group we learned a little about the Norwegian culture and things that we should expect to do and NOT to do. (I HAD NO IDEA THAT AMERICANS HAD A DIFFERENT WAY OF HOLDING THEIR FORKS AND KNIVES UNTIL THEN. we are so rude. ;]) We were lucky and had a Norwegian guest speaker. The rest of the orientation was basically the same, repeating the same things OVER & OVER & OVER AGAIN. I think I heard the AFS rules (WHICH ARE IMPORTANT--don't get me wrong) about 8 times. Some of the things we did were a little unnecessary, but some things were really helpful. Anyways, the next day (August 20th) at about 12, the people going to all the Scandinavian countries (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, & Finland) set off to NEWARK airport to get our flights. AHH. At this point I was SO nervous/insanely excited. I mean 10 months away from your family, your country, everything you are familiar with, your school is a long time & its scary to dive head first into something that could be the most perfect adventure or the worst experience ever. Taking off from the US was weird, looking down at New York city, at America for the last time until July 2010. It will be like nothing ever changed when I step off the plane, back on American ground again, time is not going to stop just because I'm gone, but I know that I'll be a completely different person that will take this experience with me WHEREVER I go. Its really up to me. Its MY choice whether or not I am going to have a good year. I just have to find the right way to pursue it. I know I will have an amazing year.


7 HOURS LATER: We arrived in Stockholm, said goodbye to the Sweden kids (shoutout to Hayden and Kathryn!) and went on to our gate headed to Oslo. The layover wasn't bad, only about an hour and a half. I really didn't feel like I was in a different country yet (but then again, its impossible to feel like that in an airport. They are worlds in themselves!). We boarded the SAS flight to Oslo at about 9 and got into Oslo at 10ish. In Oslo we were met by AFS staff & we were the first of the countries to arrive, so we had to wait around for a couple of hours for the other countries to arrive. A SIDE NOTE: I WAS SO TIRED. I WAS PROBABLY THE MOST TIRED I HAVE EVER BEEN. I did not sleep at all on the plane (& it was an overnight flight) and I wasn't allowed to sleep all day. BLAH.



After the other countries had arrived we headed to the AFS "arrival" camp. It was at a military base, btw. The camp was really fun because, again, it was cool to be with people who have the same fears and hopes that you do, this time all about Norway. It made me feel completely at ease & not alone at all, which was SO relieving. I met SO many people from across the world at the camp & I know that I'm going to be friends with some of these people for life :). & that is SO cool. So at the camp we just learned ONCE AGAIN about the program & what to do & what not to do BLAH BLAH BLAH... It was so boring. & it felt pointless. By that point we just wanted to get to our freakin' host families, haha. AFS Norway splits their exchange students in to 5 regions all across Norway so that throughout the year we can meet with our regions for camps or meetings relatively close to where we are living. These are the groups that we were split up in at the camp for meetings and stuff. I am in region three & so is Grayson and Evan (From USA). One fun thing that we did at the camp was that each country put on a skit, dance, or song that was in affiliation with their countries. It made me realize that the world is so rich in various cultures and also that I would like to look farther into world culture, maybe as a job in the future. Anyways, the United States doesn't have acertain dance, or song (BESIDES THE STAR-SPANGALED BANNER, and we were not going to do that because EVERYone from the US has probably done that) so we decided to put on a skit. We put on a skit about the stereotypes that people give to people of the United States and that we really aren't all like that. It was pretty funny, everyone loved it ;). To say the least everything BUT the classes and information sessions at the camp was really fun, & I was lucky to be a part of it.


AUGUST 23rd: BACK TO THE OSLO AIRPORT. More waiting. My flight was LITERALLY the last flight to leave out of the entire group of exchange students. Evan & Melody (from China) were both on my plane going to Førde. (Evan lives about 25 minutes away from Førde in a really small town called Eikefjorden & Melody lives in Førde as well. She also goes to my school!) We were all just worn out and wanted to get to our host families. The plane was LITERALLY THE SMALLEST PLANE I HAVE EVER BEEN ON--like "those you see in movies that always crash somewhere in the jungle where no-one would find it" kinda plane. The trip to Førde was not bad at all, only 45 minutes but I was SO nervous to meet the Slåttens (My host family). The scenery flying in was phenomenal. It was beautiful. SIDENOTE: Førde lies in the most beautiful county in Norway, Sogne og Fjordane. It's NOTHING like the US. It is so mountainous, & the mountains aren't covered in forests, like Virginia, but in rock with very little vegetation & GREEN GREEN grass. IT IS SO COOL. Our plane at one point was basically level with the mountains. Then we landed in to the SMALLEST (but cutest) AIRPORT I HAVE EVER SEEN. I stepped off the plane and walked across the asphalt to the small building where my host family was waiting for me. I was met by Sanne, Jan (my host father) and Aud (my host mother).. I was SO relieved to finally be here, but it was so surreal to finally meet them. Then we drove to the "city" of Førde. Its considered a city in Norway and it is the biggest city in the county but it is about just as big as Warrenton. IT IS SO AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL. It is situated right at the end of a fjord, & nestled between mountains :). Even though Førde is about the same size as Warrenton, it is less spread out which means it is way easier to access places, or to walk places. I LOVE THAT. The drive in was great & I kept thinking that I couldn't be more lucky than to be placed in Førde. We arrived at the house at about klokken 8:30. I saw my room (WHICH I LOVE, its so cozy), and met the dog, Nemi (cutie-pie), and the cat, Ariel ;). It was a relatively relaxing night, minus all my different jumping emotions. The greatest thing was that I already felt at home. I have the best host family, I'm convinced. They are pretty much amazing. They're so nice & I am completely comfortable with them. They treat my like their own daughter, not as a guest, & I like that. :)..As for around the house, I try to help out as much as I can, & to be a part of their family how I can. Its hard not to get caught up on the computer, because I have the urge to talk to my friends back in the USA to find out what they're doing. However, its important to be a part of life here & not be on the computer. Secondly, I'm so happy that there is a dog around the house! It makes me miss my puppy, but Nemi is so sweet :)! Also, having my own room is really great because sometimes the days are stressful & its nice to get away from the language and stress to be by myself in my own personal space. PLUS: its got a GREAT view ;). From my window I can see mountains and the river. Its pretty great. Anyways, The next morning I began school where I met two girls from my class, Marte and Gunvor (WHO ARE SO SWEET!) and I met my class. Instead of finishing this in the way I have been writing, I'm going to write about each aspect of my life here separately. To wrap things up in this part of the text I want to say that I LOVE FØRDE SO SO SO MUCH. ITS SO UNBELIEVABLE. I AM THE LUCKIEST EXCHANGE STUDENT EVER TO BE PLACED IN SUCH A GOOD FAMILY WITH SUCH A GOOD CITY.


SCHOOL: My highschool is called Hafstad vidaregåande skule (GOOD LUCK PRONOUNCING THAT). School is really awesome. I don't understand what the teachers are saying half the time, but I try to pick out words that I know.. & I pretend like I understand haha. My class is probably the coolest class ever. I love them. I really enjoy going to school to see people. For example, How they learn/what they're like etc. It run really differently. It is more laid back & the kids put in the effort because they all want to learn. Its cool, they're all so mature... Its really different than school back home. There are about 160 people in my grade & 30 in each class (each class is spit into 4 sections, A, B, C, & D). I am in class B I think. There are only 3 years of high school here & I am in the 2nd Year. I am taking Norwegian or "Norsk" (kind of like our English class except for them its Norwegian. It is funny because they learn the same things in this class that we learn in the USA. Right now they are learning about the structure of dramatic works like Shakespeare and other playwrites. IT IS SO BORING & I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING because it is ALL in Norwegian. It's going to be like that for awhile until I can understand what they are saying. Next I am taking French or "Fransk" (IT IS SO HARD TO TAKE TWO LANGUAGES. I END UP SPEAKING FRANORSK, french and norwegian mashed together, because I am learning BOTH languages so I get confused sometimes). Also here I am taking two maths. It was my choice because I thought it would be better to take a class in which I can semi-undertand (Math because it is numbers) instead of a Science class in Norwegian. The two classes are Mattematikk R and Mattematikk X. I'm not quite sure what the equivalent in English is though... Next I am taking History (IN NORWEGIAN), & last but NOT least I have ENGLISH CLASS! It is on of my favorite classes by far because it is the only one in which we speak English the WHOLE time. Its kind of a relief class because school can actually be really stressful when you can't understand. Right now they are learning about American high schools and the American culture in affiliation with graduation. Its really a learning experience to see how English is taught to the students and how the students learn it. English comes naturally to us & I never really think about it, but to watch people learn the language that isn't their mother tongue is quite cool. One different thing about the High school in Norway is that it is run very differently. Its based on the "individual" and the teachers teach to those who want to learn. Those who don't pay attention or don't do work, lose. I am trying the best I can & the teachers see that, which is important. I will soon be able to participate more, though, once I learn a little more Norwegian.


LANGUAGE: Norsk er veldig vansklig! (Norwegian is very difficult!) Men eg liker norsk. (But I like norwegian.) Eg lærer norsk raskt (I am learning norwegian fast). Men eg er veldig darlig no (but I am very bad now). There is a little bit of what I have learned, hah! All in all, I love learning the language but I want to be good NOW, & that makes it very stressful because I know I am not good at it yet. I know I cannot be fluent in 3 weeks, but I just want to understand what people are saying to me and what the teachers are saying in class. Ahh. Its been stressful lately. I'm just frustrated fdhsfhksfjd, but I know I will get better soon enough. Aud has little children books from when Sanne was little so I am learning Norwegian from there hahah. I am SUPPOSED to learn 10 words a day, but I have been VERY lazy. I will soon, no fear.


Food: My host father is an amazing cook. I'm not even kidding, he's so good at cooking. I get excited for dinner, hahah. We've had something different for dinner every night. Speaking of which, last night and tonight we had deer! I know its common where I live in the US but I have never tried it before until yesterday! Anyways, The food here is really different. Even American products such as sodas and candys taste & look different. The coke is less sweet & the chocolate tastes different. Its not bad, just different. I need to be careful with trying all the new and different things because everything just tastes so good. I'm going to be SO fat. (HOPE NOT!) Another thing is that Norwegians eat bread ALL the time. Bread (brød) and cheese (ost) are a huge part of their daily diet. However, the bread they eat here is WAY different than what we have in the US. ALMOST ALLL the bread is healthy & self-slice.. ahh. Its SO good. I love the bread here (which is SO bad, hah). MY HOST MOM AND DAD BOTH MAKE THE BEST BREAD I'VE EVER HAD. its amazing. For breakfast I usually have one or two pieces of bread with jordbær syltetøy (strawberry jam) & ost (cheese). I also have coffee like two or three times a day. As teenagers, we drink a lot more coffee than teenagers here do. None of them like coffee! That was weird to me, because I LOVE COFFEE. I'm being so unhealthy but everything is just so.....good...OH MY GOODNESS they have the BEST thing called Nugatti. Its like Nutella but BETTER & less dense. its great. Another thing I noticed that is different is that they have sour cream with almost everything, haha. Its weird. Sometimes they put it on their pizza. One thing that Norway is famous for its Brun Ost (Brown Cheese). It literally is brown. It looks REAL weird but I like it, its really good. For lunch, people usually have bread with cheese, or open-faced sandwiches. It is literally NOTHING like america lunch. There is nothing like that good old trough of Chinese Food on Tuesdays at my high school ;). hahaha ew. Also, they don't eat as much for lunch, but they snack a lot in the day. Lastly, THEY EAT DINNER SO EARLY. I just finished dinner & its 5. sometimes we even have dinner at 4. then we eat a snack or something later like around 8 or 9.


FRIENDS: BELIEVE IT OR NOT I ACTUALLY HAVE FRIENDS ;). haha, i know. crazy right?! They're all soo cool. They've all got really cool names too. I've become friends with Marte, Gunvor, Synniva, Kristina, Andrea, and some others :). (PS: all the names you're reading sound completely different than you think they would sound.) They are really really nice. All the guys are really nice too hah. They're all funny. Last weekend I had Synniva & Marte over. Aud & Jan were away so they said Sanne & I could have friends over. We made some pizza and brownies and had a great time :). I'm looking forward to getting to know some of these people more. ONLY DOWNSIDE: I feel so bad at school because I am TOTALLY naiive when it comes to the language so I ask about 783927389272897 questions a day, & I really am worried about being a "tagalong". I know those are annoying, but lately I feel like one. I know this probably isn't the case, but I'm still worried.


EXTRACURRICULARS: I've started on a volleyball team here in Førde. It is VERY fun! The girls are really really nice & very good! It is really fun to play with them. I'm so glad that I'll be able to keep up my skills. Soon, I'm starting on a fotbal (soccer) team, but I'm kinda scared to go because I only play keeper! I suck at field play so I'm worried they'll think I'm so bad. I hope I can play goalie. Lastly, Sanne works at the gym called "Spenst" & now I am a member so I can go whenever I want :)!!! AFS says that their is NO avoiding weight gain, so I'm trying to counteract that the best way that I can. I still feel like I've put on weight. ALREADY.


SOCIAL LIFE: The social life in Førde is COMPLETELY different then in Warrenton . Its easier to get places & you don't have to ask you're parents or friends to drive you places. That is the best part. Everything is so much more accessible. The teenage drinking culture is also different. My impression is that it is easier to get alcohol here underaged. I haven't been here long enough to really see, but that is my impression. Norwegians are normally really reserved & not outgoing but when they are drunk they are exceedingly outgoing. Also, when they have the opportunity to drink, they do.


WEATHER: RAIN. that's it. seriously. It's okay though. I love Førde. hah

WAIT! there was sun today. that was good.


I MISS YOU ALL SO MUCH, but not too much ;). Don't forget to talk to me on facebook/ichat/e-mail. I want to hear how everything is back at home. I hope all is well in VA or wherever. Love you. updates again soon.


Ha det bra!


Cassie

3 comments:

  1. CJ this was the most satisfying and detailed journal entry--awesome! Thanks and keep them coming....! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS WAS GREAT! TAKK for letting me know how it is to be new in my hometown. It was really amusing. You're a good writer! I'm going to put a link on my blog to your blog. Is that okay??

    ReplyDelete