Monday, February 1, 2010

AFS camp numbaaa 2.

So I'm just going to start this by saying that I have met THE most interesting, charismatic, sometimes strange, and different people from all different corners of the earth since I have been here in Norway. Its really a mind-opening experience to meet people who are COMPLETELY different than you in the way that they look, where they live, and how they live only to realize that you have more in common than you thought, if you just look a little deeper. Especially as a young person living in the kind of world we do now its important to look a little farther than the obvious stuff like someone's skin color, race, language, religion and even culture. We're the new generation thats gonna make or break the future & what would that future be if we couldn't see past the physical side of one another? It really does bring people closer together when people take the time to realize that we're all a lot closer than you think if you actually step back and take a look. I'm really bad at articulating my thoughts right now, and this may sound COMPLETELY stupid or "cheesy" but thats what blogs are for, right? to share your thoughts?

Anyways, what spurred this "oh-so-deep" thought was my time this weekend at the AFS "midstay" camp. This time it was held in a little town called Nærbø like right outside of Stavanger. SUBURBIA CENTRAL, let me tell you. The place was not too exciting, not too shabby. just suburbia. It was a relatively easy trip down to Stavanger from Førde because us Sogn og Fjordane kids got to take the plane ;) (I feel bad for all you poor ones who endured the bus ride. I applaud you.) However taking the plane got us into Stavanger at like 12:30 and we had to meet the AFS people at 6:30 so we had roughly 6 hours of time to kill. WHICH WAS AWESOME ;). I was travelling with Melody (She's from China, lives in Førde too) and we spent the entire day in the Sentrum of Stavanger. I'm insanely jealous of the exchange students that live in Stavanger. Its a sweet city. Its really really really pretty and I'm pretty sure you couldn't get bored there. BUT ITS DANGEROUS. ECONOMICALLY DANGEROUS. Like seriously? why does Norway have to be so expensive. I'm basically money-less but I ended up shopping anyways and buying things. But you'd be proud of me because all the things I bought were on sale ;), hehe.
Anyways, after spending an amazing day in Stavanger we met up with the AFS leaders and all the other foreign exchange students in region 3. It was soo good to see everyone:):) and its kind of a breath of fresh air to just let your guard down and be able to kind of stop worrying about how bad your Norwegian is or your constant battle of trying to make friends...If thats understandable at all...I was really impressed with how now everyone (almost) can communicate pretty well in Norwegian. Everyone tried to only speak in Norwegian, but then everyone just switched to English because it really is easier for everyone and its kinda nice to be able to speak JUST English once in awhile. I got to see my good friends from all over the region and mahhh othaaa US representers, Grayson and Evan :). Its AMAZING how much people have changed. There were some who have gained a few pounds, lost a few pounds, have different clothes styles, hair styles, styles in general. Some people have BOYFRIENDS OR GIRLFRIENDS! :) so cute. I deffff grilled the girls about the cute boy scene here in Norway and what THEY thought about the Norwegian boys;);). ONE THINGS FOR SURE: They are different in personality and style from boys in other countries, thats the AFS girls' verdict....The camp itself was A LOT more fun than the last one. This one wasn't in a crowded cabin that smelled like mildew, it was at a school and had a lot more things for us to do. We occupied ourselves with the piano that stood in the main hall of the school and the atmosphere was just a lot more "chill" this time. Of course we still had our meetings where we talked about our goals and achievements, our problems with school, host families, or friends, but it was just a lot more freedom to hang out. It was so upsetting to me the amount of people who really aren't having that great of a time :(. I want everyone to have as much of a great time as I am and to really see that Norway truly is a great country...WE ALSO WENT ICESKATING! :)! THAT was fun. I wasn't the worst. I actually only fell once ;). I wouldn't call it a fall though, it was more of an Epic Failure. To top it off, I wasn't so graceful about it. Not to mention an ENTIRE boys hockey team saw it. NOT the PROUDEST moment of my life, but hey, whaaat can ya do? Theres not much else to say about the camp itself besides that I enjoyed the activities and the food was...food.

SOO I was reading another girl's blog (she's also an exchange student with AFS in Norway) and she was talking about how your AFS friends really do become the best friends you could have here in Norway. That is completely true. I feel like I can talk to them about ANYTHING whether it be problems with my host family or maybe even which guy I think is cutest at my school. & Its really nice to have that security. Even though sometimes I feel like I'm alone in this experience, there are so many others who are going through the same exact thing that I am and would probably give the best advice if I needed it. It was so nice to see Grayson (the other girl from the US). We talked for SO long about our experience so far, what we love, what we hate and it was nice to just be 100 percent HONEST about how I feel about some things, you know? Its also nice to be around her because we have like the exact same kind of humor, so for the first time in a long time I could be myself with someone who actually UNDERSTOOD my joke, Haaa. You can't really get your point across (whether it be a joke or maybe just a statement) as strong as you want to when you don't speak the first language very well and your friends' first language isn't YOUR first language. It was just a breath of fresh air to be able to say absolutely EVERYTHING that I had on my mind. I liked that atmosphere.

THOUGHTS AT THIS EXACT MOMENT:
- Its weird (okay not "weird" just different, but "weird" fits better in the sentence) to me how people here STILL come off as "cold" (even though I know they're not) after I've known them for almost 6 months. This may sound weird to some, but probably not to the Americans reading this, but I miss being able to just go up to one of my guy friends (or girl friends for that matter) for example and just give him a hug like just to say "hey". I feel like if I just randomly hugged a guy friend here people would automatically assume that I like him...I know its a part of the culture but I just kinda miss the "comfortable" atmosphere where i can just do stuff like that without it being weird.
- LONDON SOON :D TWO WEEKS
- I'm gaining weight. damnit.
- my language is getting better :). You better watch out all you people who try and say dirty words to me just because I don't understand. ;) SOON I will.
- Need to start college searching. bah.
- LOVE NORWAY STILL.



until next time :). LOVE YOU.

2 comments:

  1. I really like reading your blog Cassie! I think you are very good expressing your feelings! - and I toataly get what you mean about the norwegians eventhough I am not a exchange student! Maybe because I am half english, I don't know!
    I am gonna give you a hug on Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CASSIE! i miss you and all the americans! But I still have Blake! haha, but anyways, I know exactly what you mean about going up to a guy friend at school and hugging them. I do it all the time in the US of course! But here its true that people automatically think you like the guy if you do it, it sucks! I loove it here in Norway but I still miss the contact between Americans I guess! :)) Can't wait to see all of you again!

    ReplyDelete