HIIIIIIIIII. :)
sorry for being the world's WORST blogger. I haven't really found the time to just sit down and spill EVERYTHING that has happened within the last month AND a half. I have been hugely procrastinating because when I blog it takes me FOREVER so I have to find the right time to do it. like right now.
Let's begin by saying that December was a pretty awesome month. A lot of good things happened, and has probably been my favorite here in Norway so far. The beginning of December marked some SERIOUSLY cold days like I'm talkin' in the teens (Farenheit) to single digits here...THAT is cold (its insanely freezing STILLL, btw). I've never worn so much clothing to school before. December is always my favorite month in the US because I've got my birthday, followed by Christmas, followed by New Years (threeee of my favorite holidays!). However being in Norway completely super-sized the fun-ness (?) of it all. All Norwegians get really into Christmas (Jule, in Norwegian). I learned all sorts of new traditions that I'm definitely going to take back with me to the US. For example they have Advent Calendars which is kinda like our Advent Calendars EXCEPT for not only do you get candy, you get PRESENTS too. Some families have it that you get one present a day leading up until Christmas AS WELL as the presents on Christmas. I feel a little spoiled. Not only did I get Christmas presents on actual Christmas, but I got presents on the Fridays and Saturdays leading up to it. December the first marked Christmas time for everyone as the Christmas shows started on TV and the grocery stores like completely overloaded with Christmas goods. ANNNNNNNDDDDDDD IT SNOWED! It was perfect, the first snow on the first of December. love it! So to say the least, December was already off to a good start.
THEEEEEN December 11th rolled around. Only the best day of the year, MY BIRTHDAY ;). Let me just say that it was one of the best birthdays that I have ever had. The only Debbie Downer of the day was that I had an exam that day in Sociology. It wasn't bad though, I did really well on it & I WROTE IT ALL IN NORWEGIAN. The topic was about criminal punishment in Norway versus criminal punishment in the US (I had to compare and contrast them). The teacher said I was really good in Norwegian and that he actually understood what I was saying. Now if I were giving an oral presentation, it would be a COMPLETELY different story (I'm still not very good at speaking). Then afterwards I went home to relax before the night's festivities;). I was actually really lucky because the night of the "end of term party" at the local club, Bada Bing was going on that night, so it was definitely a night to remember! The night's festivities began when my host parents took me, two friends, and Sanne to the hotel in Førde for a "julebord" (Christmas dinner). LOTSSS of Norwegian food and a plethora of nice desserts ;). Presents included some perfume, clothes, & LAST BUT NOT LEAST A TRIP TO LONDON! ahh I'm so excited, we're going in Winter Break (last weekend in February!). After dinner I went to a little get together at Bodil's (A girl from my class!) house before we went out to the party. The party at the club was pretty fun but my feet hurt like no other because of my shoes. All in all the night was great, met some new people, had a lot of fun, and wore my birthday crown that Marte made for me. The best part was that I was not homesick at all ;).
Christmas/New Years:
Christmas was really nice, especially with two weeks off from school, THAT was the best. I found that the season itself is extremely different here in Norway than it is back home... First off, people DON'T treat their lawns like department stores with copious amounts of cheezy blow-up decorations and so many multicolored lights that it could blind someone. It is definitely a formal and cozy holiday sone with a lot more grace than the American "over-pop-culturalized" culture (I'm not saying I didn't miss the American Christmas craze, because I kinda did, but it was really nice here too. The decorations are definitely more subtle and elegant, but every house has at least a little Christmas "trimming". The amount of Christmas shopping isn't any different though, WHICH SUCKED FOR ME BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS SO EXPENSIVE. But I love shopping for other people, so it was fun too :). (Opa if you're reading, I totally forgot to send the presents to you guys back with mom. MY BAD.) I gotta say that Christmas lasted a really long time here, and it was nice. I'm pretty sure I'll be celebrating the Norwegian way again:). New Years was the same as here. Lots of fireworks. Lots of parties. Lots of noise. Lots of champagne and kid champagne!
Highlights of a Norsk versus American Christmas:
-Norwegians ARE serious about their Christmas traditions. NO PEPPERKAKER (gingerbread), JULEBRUS (christmas soda), JULESANGER (christmas songs), JULE SKJOKOLADE (christmas chocolate?) BEFORE FIRST OF DECEMBER. <3
-tangerines are associated with Christmas
-they actually celebrate "Christmas", or open their presents the night of Christmas Eve, NOT early on Christmas day.
-Santa Claus does NOT bring the presents during the night...................:(........haah
-Christmas songs. I couldn't understand the ones here, I wish I could have sung along ;). they sound fun. I kinda missed the American ones though. They DID play on the radio, but only the ones from the pop-stars like Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas is you". There was no "Frosty the snowman" or "Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer" or "Santa Claus is comin' to town", but thats okay, I LIVED. ;)
-FOOD. They have this special meat on new years eve called "pinekjøtt", however I can't remember what kind of meat it is (really sorry), but its really special tasting. I haven't tasted anything like it before...It's definitely something that is only eaten at Christmas. everyone was really excited to have it, because it meant that it was "Jule" :). They also hae Svineribbe which is pork cooked so that the top is crunchy. I'm in love, its REALLY good. My host dad is also a BOSS at cooking.
-Christmas on TV: they had this "Jule Kalendar" on TV thats shown all throughout Norway. Every day from Dec. 1 up until the 24th they had a program on TV that counted down the days til Christmas :). It was cheesy and cute.
-Julenissen. small elf things. I still don't know what they are...
To say the least I loved my Norsk Jule and Nyttår! ;)
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment